Wednesday 3 March 2010

Foxy Style





Unique A/W 10.
Photo: Marcio Madeira / FirstView.com

I have totally fallen in love with a/w10 collection from Topshop Unique. I don't usually like the Unique range but I think this is just amazing. Its got an Animals of Farthing Wood/Fantastic Mr. Fox feel with a lot of military tailoring thrown in which all sounds horrendous on paper but somehow looks really right. Apparently Katie Grand did the styling which I guess explains the animal hats (I want a fox one), large eyebrows and textured layering. I guess what I like about it the most is that its all wearable. It reminds me of the simplicity of Chloe but with the English quirkiness of Luella (R.I.P) mixed in. I loved Luella and I don't really think anyone has replaced her. I always thought her collections were really original but actually wearable and fun and surely that's what Fashion is all about, having fun with the way you look. To me getting dressed should be enjoyable and about discovering what makes you feel good not whats 'cool'. I defiantly think a pair of those shear-ling boots would make me feel good, and the khaki short suit, and some of those socks, and a fur hat. I'm not sure about the eyebrows though.

Talking of Fantastic Mr. Fox...




I think it says a lot about a film when you want to have the costumes of an animated character. Everything about the foxy world looked so appealing, which is totally ridiculous as it was just like the real world only much smaller. I think maybe the scale is the key. I've always loved miniature things, I always wanted to be a 'Borrower'. Sad but true. But to say I enjoyed the film is an understatement. It was one of my favourites of last year and will most certainly be a DVD purchase very soon. I love all of Wes Anderson's films, but I think this might, for me, even top Darjeeling Limited.

No comments:

Post a Comment